When you speak we are waiting for you to get to your point.
So get there faster, stay on it and don’t mess around with meandering message or little thought tributaries.
- Have an overarching context when you speak and use it as a filter for omission. Its never that you don't have enough to say but rather that you say too much that is not on point. A single word context helps.
- Remind yourself and the audience often, what you are talking about and stay on task.
- Shut down the need to express your inner dialogue, you may think its cute to express that doubtful little voice when you speak but its actually self indulgent and distracting. So shush up the unnecessary comments that flash through your brain as a function of your nerves.
- Always realize that you have more than one speech in you so you don't have to share everything you know as if its your last lecture ever...think of having series of talks not a singular talk and all shall be wonderful.
- Answer the ‘so what?’ question and people are more likely to get your point.
Stay on task, no one is listening, you don’t matter and no one cares...until you help them to!
Stay on message!